Types of Cancer Treatment
Sierra Hematology & Oncology offers a multidisciplinary approach for each type of cancer treatment. These approaches may be used alone or in combination with other types, depending on the type of cancer, stage of cancer, and the patient’s overall health, as well as other factors.
Patients and their families should have a direct discussion with their physicians to understand the benefits of each cancer treatment option or strategy, in addition to their potential side effects if any.
- Chemotherapy: Medications to stop and reduce cancer growth and dissemination
- Radiotherapy: Radiation to stop cancer cell multiplication
- Surgery: Removal of cancerous tumors
- Hormone Therapy: Hormonal medications that can manage the hormonal activity to control cancer growth
- Immunotherapy: Treatment that helps the body’s own immune system to fight against cancer cells including CAR T-cell therapy
Cancer Resources for Patients
Battling cancer could be challenging and overwhelming at times for patients and loved ones. There are countless organizations that can help by engaging you to valuable resources so that you will get helpful information as guidance throughout the treatment process and survivorship. Furthermore, your care team will also assist you whenever you are critical and get you in touch with local available resources.
Cancer.Net (https://www.cancer.net/) is an excellent website from where you can collect relevant information that can help you and your loved ones make informed decisions to cope with cancer in a better way. This website provides end-to-end, oncologist-approved information from the American Society of Clinical Oncology and is supported by the Conquer Cancer Foundation.
Other Helpful Cancer Support Resources include:
- The American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/
- National Cancer Institute: https://www.cancer.gov/
- The Cancer Support Community: https://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/
- The National Family Caregivers Association: https://www.caregiveraction.org/